Monday 23 May 2011

To Infinity......and beyond! (Well SE23)

I have been watching the cable laying on Brockley Rise with interest and it looks like it is now coming my way. The 3 white vans in this shot are all BT OpenReach bringing fibre optic cable to SE23. (There was in fact a 4th van just out of shot!).

Our internet service is pretty abysmal. Poor on most days and utterly useless on weekends or the school holidays. This is made especially difficult as I have to work from home one day a week and to be honest, its a struggle to stay connected.

I like to think that BT Infinity will help me out - though as my real issue is connectivity rather than speed, I'm not so sure. Recent checks on a speedtest show I have about a 3mbps upload and a pathetic 0.78ish upload - but that is when I can get on.. The speeds are actually better than I expected (nowhere near that nirvana 8 I keep on getting told about), though nowhere near the 100mbps I used to get when I lived in the US 7 years ago.

So we definitely will switch when it comes - July per the BT website, but I need to be realistic about what it will bring - and a slight word of caution came from one jgdoherty on the SE23 forum (who seems to know an awful lot on the subject).

I think I need everyone in SE23 to express interest, but no one sign up but me!

Still excited though - so much so, I felt obliged to photograph my new local hero:


No comments: