Wednesday 12 February 2020

Woolstone Road - Lutwyche Road off to the left

Woolstone Road, circa 1910

It took me a while to work out exactly where on Woolstone this was taken, but the the garden pillars were the clue that helped in the end. It must have been a lovely thoroughfare with all those trees. Far fewer now, but I imagine they are the same ones.

If you look very closely, there is a car further down the road on the left with two people sauntering over the road ahead. No concern of being run over, despite the lack of speed bumps that blight the road today. I esecially like the lady pushing a pram on the right, her big white blouse is very of its time.  I have guessed the date. This card was sent from Catford possibly on 29 April 1910 - I'm only certain of the April.

I will try and retake the 'now' picture in the summer when the trees are in leaf - and I may even manage to get someone with a pram to walk on the right. Would look better than the wheelie bins on the same spot.

Woolstone Road, Feb 2020


No comments: