Wednesday 12 February 2020

Now & Then: Vancouver Road (near Hurstbourne)

Vancouver Road circa 1910

I went through a phase a few years ago of buying old postcards of near where I live in Forest Hill, South London. The aim was always to try and take the same picture now and post them on here. At long last, I'm doing it. The first is chosen as it has my house on it.

In this picture, I'm struck by the old church, which subsided and was demolished in 1999, being replaced by a new structure which is a lot less imposing and presumably less likely to sink! You can just see the new spire in the 'today' picture.

The horse drawn cart and noticeably no traffic make the street look very different to today, as well as the original garden gates and fences - so much smarter than the hotch potch of driveways, dropped kerbs and council waste bins that you see today.

Vancouver Road, February 2020

No comments: