Tuesday 10 February 2009

Forest Hill Pools Post No. 2

I really didn't mean to post about this, but it is such a big thing for the local area, that I can't help myself. I thought I'd add numbers to my posts on this going forwards so that I can track how often I end up posting about the same thing over the next few years....

So the latest, is 3 options for the Forest Hill Pools from the council. It took me quite some time, and a number of read throughs to get this right in my head.

So option 3 is - build a pool in Sydenham - I mean really...

Option 1 & 2 in theory are get rid of the Victorian frontage (Option 1) or keep it (Option 2). But then to make it a little more complicated the same assumptions don't appear to work for both, so you don't end up with a like for like comparison. Apparently to be able to Finance the one where you get rid of the frontage, you need additional housing to offset costs but for the conservation option you don't need this (logic I can't quite grasp).

I previously have been in favour of getting rid of the frontage (which I see as something of a Gothic monstrosity), though I have to say the new pictures with the frontage look rather cute. Truthfully, I don't care if it is Option 1 or 2, just get on and start it already.

What I really do care about though is that a facility should be built on the current site. Not because I particularly like swimming, but because I think the Council have a duty to provide investment to Forest Hill Town Centre. The 'town centre' is currently drab and run down, with a few notable exceptions trying to buck the trend. For Lewisham Council to even think of building the facility elsewhere is shameful. Lets hope that common opinion and common sense prevail.

No comments: