Wednesday 14 January 2009

One Tree Hill

I have to own up and say that until I moved to the area, I did think that One Tree Hill was a spectacularly bad American drama series in the Dawson Creek vein.

Turns out it has a stupendous view of London. I've only been there in the winter, so not sure how much that you can see in the summer when the trees are in leaf. If you walk up from HOP train station, just follow the path past the church. When you get to the top there is a small clearing and a bench.

The story goes that on 1st May 1602, Elizabeth I had a picnic at the summit whilst on route from London to (somewhere further south..). Having hiked up there, I frankly very much doubt it. My guess is she walked round the side - if you were travelling past, I doubt you'd walk to the top - as it is a hike - but that is what gives you the view.

No comments: